An essential oil is a liquid that is generally distilled (most frequently by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils are highly concentrated and a little goes a long way.
Where essential oils are derived from the true plants, fragrance oils are artificially created fragrances or contain artificial substances and do not offer the therapeutic benefits that essential oils offer.
Essential oils are often used by diluting them with a carrier oil e.g. sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, grapeseed oil, etc. and then applying this blend to the skin for absorption. Using a diffuser can help you experience the benefits of essential oils aromatically.
Here are our top 10:
- Eucalyptus: Improves respiratory issues like bronchitis, sinusitis and allergies. Also, invigorating and purifies the body.
- Frankincense: Builds immunity, reduces inflammation, heals age spots, supports brain and may help fight cancer.
- Lavender: Helps with relaxation, improves mood and heals burns and cuts.
- Lemon: Great to use in homemade cleaning products, improves lymph drainage and cleanses the body.
- Lemongrass: Antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and can be a potent insect repellent. Its antifungal properties are especially helpful in combating the nasty yeast associated with dandruff.
- Oregano: Powerful anti-microbial properties, can kill fungus and help you kick a cold fast.
- Peppermint: Supports digestion, improves focus, boosts energy, fever reducer, headache and muscle pain relief.
- Rose: Incredible for reducing skin inflammation and great for creating glowing skin. Rose oil is pricier than other aromatherapy oils given the number of roses necessary to distil it.
- Rosemary: Can naturally thicken hair so it is great to add to homemade shampoos. Also, it improves brain function and memory so it’s great to used when working, reading or studying.
- Tea tree oil (melaleuca): natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, reduces bad odours and can help stimulate the immune system.